Monday, January 19, 2015

Adoption on TV....

I watch Downton Abbey. 

I don't like many of the characters, but a few who I feel for are the adoptive parents of Marigold.

Yes, Lady Edith (the birth mother of Marigold) is in pain.  Yes, her situation that leads to Marigold's adoption is tragic.  But does that make it right for her to tear Marigold out of the arms of the Swiss parents who love her?  They never touch on their pain. 

This guy addresses it better on the Daily Beast.

Really, adoption is portrayed horribly on TV altogether.

Patrick, on Revenge, had his adoptive mother die when he was young and his step mother hated him so his dad did likewise.

The kid on Once Upon A Time was adopted by the Wicked Witch.  Seriously?

Thor's brother, Loki, is adopted and winds up being a villain...

That's all I can think of right now, but why is adoption generally portrayed so negatively in the media?   Almost every instance of adoption I know of is exceedingly positive- but I guess that wouldn't get good ratings.


2 comments:

  1. I've never thought about it like that-but I totally agree with you. You my Dear are a shining example of what an adoption should result in-unconditional LOVE and devotion

    ReplyDelete