Friday, October 13, 2017

Rooster culling

*****WARNING!!!!  Chicken butchering pics*******

Yesterday the large cockerel (aka Mr Weasley) was staring at Daughter as she was running outside. She came within a few feet of him and I was getting nervous. 

Last night when I went to get the chickens in the coop the cockerels would not get in. I took it as a sign. 

Daughter crashed before Mat got home. I took it as another sign. 

So we had dinner, put Son to bed, and went out to cull some roosters. 

The sun had already set when we started. But here are some pics....


My stud with the first rooster (Mr Weasley)



We opted to breast them out since it was our first time and we were doing it in the dark. Mat did the work and I assisted. 



Cutting out the breast



Cutting out a leg



A pic of the crop on the smaller rooster


It was really a learning experience for us!  And we had fun!  It was almost like a date night- no kids and under the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment