Monday, April 15, 2013

24 weeks and starting some seeds!

Yesterday I hit 24 weeks!  As per our biweekly routine, no bump pics standing.  But there will be one of me sitting later.

24 weeks is a small milestone.  1/2 to 3/4 of babies born at 24 weeks survive!  We want Daughter to stay in there for as long as possible, but it's good to know that she would have a good chance if something were to happen :)

This is our first year starting our own seeds.  I'd been collecting toilet paper rolls for a few months to make seed starters... but I didn't have enough (next year I'll start earlier).  So we bought a Burpee Self Watering Seed Starting System, a Jiffy Greenhouse, and one pack of Jiffy Pots from Fleet Farm so we can compare how the different ones work.  

Me making TP seed starters

A TP seed starter bottom view

The Burpee seed starter kit on the left, a tray of our TP starters on the right.



 We didn't start the Jiffy one yet, because our carrots and zuchini are only supposed to be started about 3 weeks before last frost.  Considering there is still tons of snow and there was a blizzard Sunday into Monday, I'm thinking it'll probably be May before we are able to start those seeds.



Mookie doesn't like that we separated the sectional to give the seeds optimal sun, but he's still cute :)

Most of our seeds came from Seedsavers.  We planted huckleberries, calibrese broccoli, bloody butcher tomato, amish paste tomato, sunberry (a freebie that was thrown in with our order) and red westerfield onion.  We have other seeds that will be planted after the last frost. 

I'm very excited to have a large garden!  We only had a 1/5 acre lot that was very shaded before in the city.  I gardened about as much as I could, but now I can do so much more!

I know that with my pregnancy, the garden may fall to the wayside.  But I'm ok with that.  It'll be fun while it lasts!  And I'm already picturing myself canning with Daughter wrapped on my tummy :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are so into gardening. I wish I was, would be nice to have fresh produce. Alas, I have black thumbs! Good luck. Can't wait to see all the goodies you will get this summer!

    ReplyDelete